“People were bringing little children to Jesus in order that he might touch them. When he saw this, he said to them, ‘Let the little children come to me; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs.’ And he took them up in his arms, laid his hands on them, and blessed them.”
Although regular in-person activities are not being held in our church building due to COVID-19, Messiah Children's Ministry is pleased to invite you and your children to the following events. We continue to acknowledge our underlying belief that children are valuable members of the church, cherished by the Good Shepherd who knows them by name and loves them!
- Live "Pop-Up Catechesis of the Good Shepherd" is held outdoors in the church yard at Messiah on alternate Saturday afternoons for children ages 4 to 12 years (see below for a description of this engaging curriculum). Please email Lori Goetz at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about dates and times.
- "Gospel Project" and "Advent Comfort and Joy" packets (specially prepared for children and available for mailing to your home) help kids meet God at home. We'd love to send a packet to your house!
- Messiah's "Festive Tree-Lighting" will be held on Saturday, December 5th, at 4:30 p.m. in the church yard at Messiah. Please join us! (Registration required.)
Ever thankful for our Lord's enduring love for you and your children,
Lori Goetz, Director of Children's Ministry
The nursery, for children 3 and under, is offered year-round at the 8:30 and 11 a.m. services.
TODDLER SUNDAY SCHOOL
This program, for children 18 months up to 3 years, takes place on Sunday mornings for one hour at 10:00 during the school year. Here, children listen to stories from the Bible at their level, learn songs of the faith, engage in hands-on activities, and make friends.
CATECHESIS OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD
The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd program is offered on Sunday mornings at 10 a.m. during the school year. Using Montessori teaching methods, it provides a place and time for children to experience God’s loving presence. The words of the prophet Isaiah, “I have called you by name, you are mine… because you are precious in my sight” (Isaiah 43:1, 4), form the core Christian message we proclaim.
Level 1 is for children ages 3 1/2 to 6. Level 2 is for children from first to third grade. Levels 1 and 2 meet from 10 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
Level 3 is for children in fourth and fifth grades. They meet for one hour on the third floor in Room 1 at 10 a.m. during the school year and are engaged in a curriculum that helps them to read and understand the Bible for themselves, and apply its message to their daily lives.
This program is available during the 8:30 a.m. service for children 4-10 years old (fifth grade). Children follow the cross bearer out of the service and are returned in time to receive communion with their families. During Children’s Chapel they follow a simplified liturgy, hear and discuss the gospel reading for the day, and have a creative response to the lesson.
Watch our children's videos on our youtube channel.
CHILDREN IN WORSHIP SERVICES
Children of all ages are always welcome in the worship service. But we also have other options:
- A quiet room, located at the back of the sanctuary, offers additional space for parents to sit with restless children.
- Activity bags are available for children who prefer to remain in the worship service. You will find them on a rack outside the sanctuary.
- Babies and toddlers can play or be cared for in the nursery, staffed by at least two Safe Church-trained volunteers.
- During the 8:30 service children ages 4-10 (fifth grade) are invited to attend Children’s Chapel.
GREAT ADVENTURE DAYS
Held each summer in July or August, this is our vacation Bible school for children 3 years old to fifth grade. Running from Tuesday to Friday, it offers a dynamic combination of fun, music, and Bible learning.
HOLY COMMUNION CLASS AND RETREAT
Messiah sponsors Cub Scout Pack 10. Boys and girls in grades kindergarten through fifth are invited to join Messiah’s cub scout pack. Dens of 6 to 8 children meet once a month at the church and the whole pack meets together once a month for learning and fun.
For further information about scouting at Messiah contact Grant Fair at 651-227-3916 or email him.