“People were bringing little children to Jesus in order that he might touch them. When he saw this, he said to them, ‘Let the little children come to me; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs.’ And he took them up in his arms, laid his hands on them, and blessed them.”
"There is a stage in a child’s life at which it cannot separate the religious from the merely festal character of Christmas or Easter. I have been told of a very small and very devout boy who was heard murmuring to himself on Easter morning a poem of his own composition which began ‘Chocolate eggs and Jesus risen’. This seems to me, for his age, both admirable poetry and admirable piety." C.S. Lewis
We look forward to celebrating the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ at Messiah! Here's what is happening in Children's Ministry and what is to come:
Holy Communion Class and Retreat
- Last class meeting Sunday, April 3, at 10 a.m.
- Retreat on Saturday, April 9th, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Messiah.
- Festal Procession with Children and Palms on Palm Sunday, April 10th, at Messiah (8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m.)
The Sacrament of Baptism will be offered during the Easter Vigil on April 16th at 7 p.m. Please let the church office know if you or someone in your household would like to be baptized (651-698-2590).
Toddlers through children in fifth grade are invited to Messiah's Festive Easter Egg Hunt on April 17th (Easter Sunday) at 10 a.m. in the Youth Loft.
Catechesis of the Good Shepherd
Sundays at 10 a.m. for children 3 1/2 to 12 years old (no class Easter Sunday).
Toddler Sunday School
Sundays at 10 a.m. for children 18 months to 3 years old (no class Easter Sunday).
Messiah's Nursery for children ages 3 years and under is offered during the 11 a.m. service of worship. Here is what you need to know:
- The nursery will be offered during the 11 o'clock service of worship, from 11 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. Parents pick-up their children at the passing of the peace, right before Holy Communion.
- Two leaders will be paired to care for children any given Sunday.
- We ask adult and youth volunteers to wear a mask in the nursery.
- Nursery-age children are not required to wear a mask.
Great Adventure Days Save-the-Date: July 19, 20, and 21
- We invite children ages 5 years through fifth grade to join us for Great Adventure Days 2022 at Messiah. GAD is our version of Vacation Bible School.
- We'll explore Jesus in the Gospel of Mark through drama while enjoying crafts, games, and music.
- Stay tuned for more information about how to register and how to volunteer to help with this beloved Messiah ministry!
In Christ's Love,
The nursery, for children 3 and under, is offered year-round at the 8:30 and 11 a.m. services.
TODDLER SUNDAY SCHOOL
This program, for children 18 months up to 3 years, takes place on Sunday mornings for one hour at 10:00 during the school year. Here, children listen to stories from the Bible at their level, learn songs of the faith, engage in hands-on activities, and make friends.
CATECHESIS OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD
The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd program is offered on Sunday mornings at 10 a.m. during the school year. Using Montessori teaching methods, it provides a place and time for children to experience God’s loving presence. The words of the prophet Isaiah, “I have called you by name, you are mine… because you are precious in my sight” (Isaiah 43:1, 4), form the core Christian message we proclaim.
Level 1 is for children ages 3 1/2 to 6. Level 2 is for children from first to third grade. Levels 1 and 2 meet from 10 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
Level 3 is for children in fourth and fifth grades. They meet for one hour on the third floor in Room 1 at 10 a.m. during the school year and are engaged in a curriculum that helps them to read and understand the Bible for themselves, and apply its message to their daily lives.
This program is available during the 8:30 a.m. service for children 4-10 years old (fifth grade). Children follow the cross bearer out of the service and are returned in time to receive communion with their families. During Children’s Chapel they follow a simplified liturgy, hear and discuss the gospel reading for the day, and have a creative response to the lesson.
Watch our children's videos on our youtube channel.
CHILDREN IN WORSHIP SERVICES
Children of all ages are always welcome in the worship service. But we also have other options:
- A quiet room, located at the back of the sanctuary, offers additional space for parents to sit with restless children.
- Activity bags are available for children who prefer to remain in the worship service. You will find them on a rack outside the sanctuary.
- Babies and toddlers can play or be cared for in the nursery, staffed by at least two Safe Church-trained volunteers.
- During the 8:30 service children ages 4-10 (fifth grade) are invited to attend Children’s Chapel.
GREAT ADVENTURE DAYS
Held each summer in July or August, this is our vacation Bible school for children 3 years old to fifth grade. Running from Tuesday to Friday, it offers a dynamic combination of fun, music, and Bible learning.
HOLY COMMUNION CLASS AND RETREAT
Messiah sponsors Cub Scout Pack 10. Boys and girls in grades kindergarten through fifth are invited to join Messiah’s cub scout pack. Dens of 6 to 8 children meet once a month at the church and the whole pack meets together once a month for learning and fun.
For further information about scouting at Messiah contact Grant Fair at 651-227-3916 or email him.